Pre-application advice service
We know that submitting a planning application can be both a confusing and time-consuming process. To help guide you through the process, we offer a pre-application advice service before you submit your application.
We now offer a service is for residents or businesses who wish to extend or make changes to their property. The service is appropriate for straightforward applications, such as extensions to houses and small commercial buildings, new shop fronts and adverts.
- How does it work?
- Pre-application advice form
- How can you help us?
- What are the benefits?
- Will my application be approved?
1. Please contact our customer service team in the first instance. You can telephone 01629 816 200 or email email@example.com.
2. The customer service team will register your enquiry and may be able to give you the information you need immediately.
3. If your enquiry requires further research, you will be referred to a planning customer adviser who will contact you within 3 working days.
4. The planning customer adviser may decide that further research or information is required at this stage and you may be asked to complete a pre-application advice form (94KB) . You will be advised of this and a planning officer will then contact you within 15 working days.
5. If planning permission is required, we will advise you:
You will also be given a checklist that tells you all the plans and supporting information that you need to provide so that our planning officers can assess and determine the formal application.
The quality of advice we can provide is linked to the accuracy of the information you give us. It is in your interest to provide enough information that is accurate so that the full extent of your proposal can be understood and appropriate advice given. A site visit will not normally be made, but you can provide photographs.
If appropriate, the planning officer will make an appointment for you to discuss your plans in person. We aim to provide a collaborative service in which the planning officer will make suggestions about approrpriate developments that meet your needs.
The changes to the service will benefit you as a customer and allow us to offer a better service.
The new service aims to:
- identify and resolve any issues with you before you make a formal application
- advise against a planning application being made if it is clearly expected to fail
- reduce the number of unsuccessful planning applications
This service will help to:
- save time and money for all parties involved
- avoid the expense and delay in making changes to formal applications
- reduce delays by explaining what you have to submit
The pre-application advice that we provide is not legally binding as it does not take into account the views of neighbours, local councils and other public bodies, who we have a statutory requirement to consult.
Final decisions can only be made once an application has been formally submitted and all interested parties have been consulted. Our officers cannot give any guarantees about a decision that will be made on your application.