Days for Schools
Located on the edge of the Peak District National Park we are easily accessed from a number of major towns and cities, just 13 miles from the centre of Manchester and Stockport.
Set within the stunning Longdendale Valley, our grounds offer safe and secure woodlands to freely explore, a network of paths meandering around the beautiful reservoirs, and exhilarating rivers and hills of the nearby Crowden Valley. Together with a large classroom and toilet facilities, we can offer your class a day to remember.
We strive to make our visits accessible to all. Days can be tailored to your group’s needs. While many of our sites are accessible to people with limited mobility , it is recommended to discuss your particular needs with us before booking.
- Large classroom (2 classes) with coach parking
- Cloak room
- Toilets (1 girls, 1 boys and 1 disabled), additional toilets available at Crowden
- Hand washing
- Private woodlands and sensory garden with wildlife pond
- Access to reservoir and surrounding Longdendale trail
- Small meeting room
School visits take place between 10.00-2.30pm. This is flexible. The centre is open all year round.
What we offer
Early Years Foundation Stage
- Forest School - this is a bespoke programme, please call for more information
- Woodland Tales
Key Stage 1 Programmes
Key Stage 2 Programmes
- Art in the Peak
- Mountain Environment (am located at Crowden Valley, not suitable for wheelchairs)
- Rocks and Soils
- Peak District Challenge
- River Study (am located at Crowden Valley, wheel chair access can be arranged)
- Seasonal Changes in the Peak District
Family and Community Work
We run many programmes from the centre that meet the varied needs of community and family groups. We aim to develop lifelong learning opportunities that encourage groups of all ages to experience and enjoy the Peak District National Park.
We run Family Wild Play events every Wednesday in the holidays for families and young people, call for more information and to book.
Directions & Contact Information
Longdendale Environment Centre is situated east of Manchester, on Woodhead Road A628.
Longdendale Environmental Centre
United Utilities Bottoms Office
Derbyshire SK13 1HS
Tel: 01457 855487
For all booking please call 01629 816373
Directions to Crowden (92.5kb)