This is an archived press release
Monday 26 October 2015
A spectacular art installation will transform St Nicholas’ Church at High Bradfield into a beacon of commemoration on Sunday.
The building will be illuminated by giant floating red poppies from November 1 to November 8 to remember the hundreds of local people who died in World War One, World War Two, and more recent conflicts.
The installation, designed by Sue Hague of Dungworth-based Pinkdotinc Design, is part of the Poppy Memorial Trail, a major project that uses the church’s war memorials and war graves as the cornerstones of a memorial walkway made up with the memories of lost loved ones captured on red plaques.
More than 1,000 have now been sold and installed in the walkway and the event is raising funds for Help For Heroes, the Royal British Legion and the church.
The trail has been supported by a grant from the Peak District National Park Authority’s sustainable development fund, Travis Perkins, Dungworth’s Royal Hotel, PinkdotInc Design, Bradfield Brewery, Sheffield Timber Specialists and LAR Print.
Peak District National Park sustainable development officer Richard Godley said: “We’ve been overwhelmed by interest in the project so far. The finished installation is going to be visible for miles around - the area really will have seen nothing like it before. State-of-the-art technology is being used to allow local people to remember loved ones who were lost.”
The event is organised by Dungworth, Bradfield and District Heritage Group, St Nicholas’ Church, Pinkdotinc Design and the Royal Hotel, Dungworth.
A full week of commemoration events are planned:
- November 1 – All Saints Day Service (6pm), switch-on by Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Cllr Talib Hussain; illumination (6pm to 10pm)
- November 2 - St Nicholas’ Church art exhibition (2pm to 6pm); illumination (6pm to 10pm)
- November 3 - Church Ploughmans, Low Bradfield Village Hall (12pm to 2pm); illumination (6pm to 10pm)
- November 4 - Church Ploughmans, Low Bradfield Village Hall (12pm to 2pm); illumination (6pm to 10pm)
- November 5 – TICKET ONLY Military evening talk, Royal Hotel, Dungworth ( 7.30pm to 10.30pm). Hosted by Major Edward Colver MBE. Church and grounds closed to public, admission by ticket only. Tickets, priced £10, including pie and pea supper, from Royal Hotel.
- November 6 - TICKET ONLY Poppies to Prom Night. Music by Loxley Silver Band (doors open 7pm, performance starts 8pm). Tickets, priced £7.50, available from the Royal Hotel and Flaskend Bradfield Post Office; illumination (6pm to 11pm).
- November 7 - Air Raid Walk, organised and sponsored by Bradfield Brewery. Starts 3pm at the brewery. At 4pm all families leave the brewery dressed in lights and lanterns and walk to the church, refreshments at church by WI; Illumination (4.30pm to 9pm).
- November 8 - Remembrance Day, St Nicholas' Church. Services at 10.30am and 6.30pm; final night of illumination (6pm to 10pm).