MyPeakCup is the Peak District National Park’s new campaign launched in 2018 to reduce the volume of single-use drinks cups across the UK’s first National Park.
Join the conversation on Twitter @PeakDistrict #MyPeakCup
What’s the problem?
Seven million coffee cups are used daily in the UK (the vast majority with a plastic lining), with less than 1% of this volume fully recycled. Despite the majority of consumers disposing of their cups responsibly, an estimated 500,000 become litter across the country every day.
With around 35 tonnes of waste and litter collected by Peak District National Park rangers every year from our own sites alone, it is inevitable that disposable cups are just one aspect of the challenge in the UK’s original National Park.
That’s why we’ve created the #MyPeakCup campaign, with these simple aims;
- Reduce the amount of single use plastics being used in the Peak District National Park
- Reduce the potential for litter from single-use plastic cups
- Encourage the use of recyclable, environmentally responsible alternatives
- Reward those taking part in the campaign with discounts at selected retailers
What else are we doing?
We know there’s a long way to go to ensure our operations as a National Park are as environmentally sustainable as possible, so we’re also looking at;
- Working with events partners to encourage similar plastic reduction schemes in the Peak District National Park
- Assessing our own retail outlets and Visitor Centres to see where we can further reduce single-use plastics
With the help of our amazing visitors, we know we can make a difference!
The #MyPeakCup Ecoffeecup
The cup is also available to purchase online.
Here’s the science bit…
- Made from organic, sustainably grown bamboo
- Naturally sterile
- Low energy and CO2 manufacture
- BPA, petrochemical and phthalate free
- Recyclable bonded silica lid and band
Oh, and it’s dishwasher safe, light and fully recyclable too!
Benefit from discounts from local retailers when you use a reusable
Find out where you can get discounts from local retailers.
Got any questions? Here’s all you need to know in the My Peak Cup FAQs section.