peak district landscape

The Meaning of 'Development'


Appendix 2

For information only



The development control system gives the planning system power over works or activities defined as 'development' in the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. The Secretary of State for the Environment has charge of the planning system at the national level.


The Secretary of State has the power to give general permissions covering classes of development which may apply to the whole country or particular areas. These permissions are know as 'permitted development' and are specified in the General Development Order, as amended from time to time. They include various types of alteration to dwelling houses and certain agricultural work. In some cases, notification to the local planning authority is needed but not a full planning application.


Development is defined at Section 55 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. An extract is printed below for the convenience of users of this Plan. If in any doubt about the effect of any of these rules, the owner or occupier is invited to consult the local planning authority and/or a solicitor before entering any commitment.


Definition of development

(From Section 55 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990)


Subject to the following provisions of this section, in this Act, except where the context otherwise requires, 'development', means the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land.




For the purposes of this Act 'building operations' includes




demolition of buildings;








structural alterations of or additions to buildings; and




other operations normally undertaken by a person carrying on business as a builder.


The following operations or uses of land shall not be taken for the purposes of this Act to involve development of the land



the carrying out for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any building or works which




affect only the interior of the building, or




do not materially affect the external appearance of the building, and are not works for making good war damage or works begun after December 5, 1968 for the alteration of a building by providing additional space in it underground;



the carrying out on land within the boundaries of a road by a local highway authority of any works required for the maintenance or improvement of the road;



the carrying out by a local authority or statutory undertakers of any works for the purpose of inspecting, repairing or renewing any sewers, mains, pipes, cables or other apparatus, including the breaking open of any street or other land for that purpose;



the use of any buildings or other land within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such;



the use of any land for the purposes of agriculture or forestry (including afforestation) and the use for any of those purposes of any building occupied together with land so used;



in the case of buildings or other land which are used for a purpose of any class specified in an order made by the Secretary of State under this section, the use of the buildings or other land or, subject to the provisions of the order, of any part of the buildings or the other land, for any other purpose of the same class.



the demolition of any description of building specified in a direction given by the Secretary of State to local planning authorities generally or to a particular local planning authority.


For the avoidance of doubt it is hereby declared that for the purposes of this section



the use as two or more separate dwellinghouses of any building previously used as a single dwellinghouse involves a material change in the use of the building and of each part of it which is so used;



the deposit of refuse or waste materials on land involves a material change in its use, notwithstanding that the land is comprised in a site already used for that purpose, if




the superficial area of the deposit is extended, or




the height of the deposit is extended and exceeds the level of the land adjoining the site.


For the purposes of this Act mining operations include



the removal of material of any description




from a mineral-working deposit;




from a deposit of pulverised fuel ash or other furnace ash or clinker; or




from a deposit of iron, steel or other metallic slags; and



the extraction of minerals from a disused railway embankment.



Where the placing or assembly of any tank in any part of any inland waters for the purpose of fish farming there would not, apart from this subsection, involve development of the land below, this Act shall have effect as if the tank resulted from carrying out engineering operations over that land; and in this subsection

'fish farming' means the breeding, rearing or keeping of fish or shellfish (which includes any kind of crustacean and mollusc);

'inland waters' means waters which do not form part of the sea or of any creek, bay or estuary or of any river as far as the tide flows;
'tank' includes any cage and any other structure for use in fish farming.


Without prejudice to any regulations made under the provisions of this Act relating to the control of advertisements, the use for the display of advertisements of any external part of a building which is not normally used for that purpose shall be treated for the purpose of this section as involving a material change in the use of that part of the building.

Appendix 3




Share this page