A gateway to the uplands which encircle the waters of the Dove Stone. Reservoir sailing club traffic on a section of the route. RADAR key requred for gate.
Access for All and Some
Distance: 1.2 km and 3 km to complete the loop
Nearest Facilities: Dove Stone Car Park
Access for All
- From the top end of the car park, either head along the dam wall or along the road, in the direction of the sailing club,to a gate.
- Follow the road to where the streams meet.
Access for Some
- At the far end of the dam wall, head up a steep tarmac slope with railings to a level track following the side of the reservoir.
- A further steep tarmac slope with railings leads through a gate to the head of the reservoir.
- Cross the dam wall and contour round the other side of the reservoir passing the spillway and Celebration Wood.
- Follow the path as it winds down a steep tarmac slope before leading back to the car park.
- Dove Stone Route Map (434KB)
Start at Dove Stones Car Park, from the A635, east of Greenfield.
Ordnance Survey grid reference: SE 0134 0342
Postcode: OL3 7NE
Do you know?
- The steps of Ashway Gap House, near Celebration Wood, are all that remain of this once-grand Victorian shooting lodge.
- The spillway leads from a tunnel built to maintain the water supply to the local mill-owners.
- Look out for the resident peregrine falcons, Britain’s fastest bird.