The Hope Valley Explorer will operate from 14 May through to Saturday 3 September 2022, during weekends and Bank Holidays.
Continuing our use of a larger capacity bus with cycle racks, the route no longer takes-in Edale village but will continue to visit other locations on the route. Edale can be connected to by train from other stops such as Hope.
Explore the Peak District’s Hope Valley!
Step on-board the Hope Valley Explorer to experience this stunning corner of the Peak District National Park.
Leave the car behind, take the train from Sheffield or Manchester and join the Hope Valley Explorer at Hope or Bamford. Or hop aboard direct from Chesterfield or Dronfield. The Hope Valley Explorer is operated by Stagecoach.
Every trip on the Hope Valley Explorer is one less car journey in the UK’s original National Park!
Begin your adventure...
National Park visitor centres at Edale - via train from Hope (for the Pennine Way), Castleton and the Derwent Valley are packed with information and advice from our friendly ranger teams to help you make the most of your trip.
- Castleton - The heart of the Hope Valley, on the doorstep of the Great Ridge, Mam Tor and Winnats Pass, and gateway to the Peak District’s fascinating cave networks (Rail Station – Hope, one Explorer stop)
- Derwent Valley - Set in the imposing ‘Dark Peak’ on the banks of the Derwent reservoirs, explore miles of walking and cycling trails, or immerse yourself in history – including the famous ‘Dambusters’
- Edale (connected to the Explorer by Rail from Hope) Enjoy Jacobs Ladder, the start of the Pennine Way and winding village lanes in this stunning secluded valley, home to the Peak District’s innovative Moors for the Future programme.
See where the Hope Valley Explorer goes!
2022 route and timetable...
Download the 2022 leaflet...
- Step deep inside the world of caves from Castleton, just moments from the Hope Valley Explorer route
- Stare in awe at the Derwent Dam and be transported back to the ‘lost villages’ and Dambusters heritage
- Take in the unrivalled views from the Great Ridge, or travel the snake-like winding Winnats Pass
- Climb ‘Jacobs Ladder’ near Edale, in the shadow of Kinder Scout – spiritual home of Britain’s National Parks (connection by rail from Hope)
- Slow down your day with a wander through the streets and shops of Castleton, or the lanes of Edale
Linked Bus & Rail Routes
The following bus services also connect to the Hope Valley Explorer route at
the locations shown.
257 services calling at:
- Ladybower Inn
- Yorkshire Bridge
272 service calling at:
- Bamford rail station
Connecting train times at Chesterfield rail station
- Derby: 08:29, 09:13
- Nottingham: 08:45
- Derby: 19:07, 19:30
- Nottingham: 18:59, 19:25
- Chesterfield: 11:12
- Chesterfield: 19:03
For the Hope Valley Line
Ticket prices - 2022
On-board ticket prices for the 2022 season have been maintained at original 2019 costs*
- Adult day ticket £6
- Family day ticket (up to 2 adults and two children) £12
- Single journey £4
ENCTS half single fare or £3 day ticket when presented with a valid concessionary pass - Not valid on any other service.
All the above are to be valid throughout the route, i.e. including to/from Chesterfield.
- Dayrider Gold - valid
- Child Dayrider Gold - valid
- Megarider Gold - valid
- Derbyshire Wayfarer - valid
- GM Wayfarer - valid
Not valid: Five for a Fiver, Plusbus
*Please note travel card and seasonal pass prices from additional providers may differ.
We'd love your feedback if you ride on the Hope Valley Explorer.
We are grateful for the kind support of Derbyshire Dales District Council in supporting the operation of the Hope Valley Explorer in 2022.
The Hope Valley Explorer is operated by Stagecoach on behalf of the Peak District National Park Authority. Times given are accurate at the time of publication and are based on expected traffic conditions. Times may be subject to change and will be made available via the Peak District National Park website. The Peak District National Park Authority cannot accept liability for delays to connecting rail or other services as a result of the Hope Valley Explorer. Got more questions? Please visit our FAQs page.