The Hope Valley Explorer will operate from Saturday 24 July through to Saturday 30 October 2021, during weekends and Bank Holidays.
Due to an increase in service capacity and larger vehicles, the route will no longer take-in Edale village but will continue to visit other locations on the route.
Explore the Peak District’s Hope Valley!
Step on-board the Hope Valley Explorer to experience this stunning corner of the Peak District National Park.
Leave the car behind, take the train from Sheffield or Manchester and join the Hope Valley Explorer at Hope or Bamford. Or hop aboard direct from Chesterfield or Dronfield. The Hope Valley Explorer is operated by Stagecoach.
Every trip on the Hope Valley Explorer is one less car journey in the UK’s original National Park!
Begin your adventure…
National Park visitor centres at Edale - via train from Hope (for the Pennine Way), Castleton and the Derwent Valley are packed with information and advice from our friendly ranger teams to help you make the most of your trip.
- Castleton - The heart of the Hope Valley, on the doorstep of the Great Ridge, Mam Tor and Winnats Pass, and gateway to the Peak District’s fascinating cave networks (Rail Station – Hope, one Explorer stop)
- Derwent Valley - Set in the imposing ‘Dark Peak’ on the banks of the Derwent reservoirs, explore miles of walking and cycling trails, or immerse yourself in history – including the famous ‘Dambusters’
- Edale (connected to the Explorer by Rail from Hope) Enjoy Jacobs Ladder, the start of the Pennine Way and winding village lanes in this stunning secluded valley, home to the Peak District’s innovative Moors for the Future programme.
See where the Hope Valley Explorer goes!
Click/touch the image below...
- Step deep inside the world of caves from Castleton, just moments from the Hope Valley Explorer route
- Stare in awe at the Derwent Dam and be transported back to the ‘lost villages’ and Dambusters heritage
- Take in the unrivalled views from the Great Ridge, or travel the snake-like winding Winnats Pass
- Climb ‘Jacobs Ladder’ near Edale, in the shadow of Kinder Scout – spiritual home of Britain’s National Parks (connection by rail from Hope)
- Slow down your day with a wander through the streets and shops of Castleton, or the lanes of Edale
Operating Times & Covid-19 Guidance
The 2021 timetable is available now.
Please be aware that in line with continued government guidance on the use of public transport, travellers may be requested to wear a face covering. This will be indicated by signage on the service where relevant.
Linked Bus & Rail Routes
The following bus services also connect to the Hope Valley Explorer route at
the locations shown.
257/X57 services calling at:
- Ladybower Inn
- Yorkshire Bridge
- Fairholmes (Derwent Valley)
272 service calling at:
- Bamford rail station
Connecting train times at Chesterfield rail station (Saturday Only):
- From Derby - 09:05
- From Nottingham – 08:55, 09:20
- To Derby – 18:49
- To Nottingham - 18:23, 18:54
Connecting train times for the Hope Valley rail line:
(Bamford and Hope stations):
Ticket prices - 2021
Prices for the 2021 season have been frozen at 2019 levels
- Adult day ticket £6
- Family day ticket (up to 2 adults and two children) £12
- Single journey £4
ENCTS half single fare or £3 day ticket when presented with a valid concessionary pass - Not valid on any other service.
All the above are to be valid throughout the route, i.e. including to/from Chesterfield.
Changes for 2021:
- Dayrider Gold - valid
- Child Dayrider Gold - valid
- Megarider Gold - valid
- Derbyshire Wayfarer - valid
- GM Wayfarer - valid
Not valid: Five for a Fiver, Plusbus
We'd love your feedback if you ride on the Hope Valley Explorer.
The Hope Valley Explorer is operated by Stagecoach on behalf of the Peak District National Park Authority. Times given are accurate at the time of publication and are based on expected traffic conditions. Times may be subject to change and will be made available via the Peak District National Park website. The Peak District National Park Authority cannot accept liability for delays to connecting rail or other services as a result of the Hope Valley Explorer. Got more questions? Please visit our FAQs page.