Explore the Peak District’s Hope Valley!
Step on-board the Hope Valley Explorer to experience this stunning corner of the Peak District National Park.
Leave the car behind, take the train from Sheffield or Manchester and join the Hope Valley Explorer at Edale, Hope or Bamford. Or hop aboard direct from Chesterfield or Dronfield. The Hope Valley Explorer is operated by Stagecoach.
Every trip on the Hope Valley Explorer is one less car journey in the UK’s original National Park!
Begin your adventure…
National Park visitor centres at Edale (for the Pennine Way), Castleton and the Derwent Valley are packed with information and advice from our friendly ranger teams to help you make the most of your trip.
- Edale - Enjoy Jacobs Ladder, the start of the Pennine Way and winding village lanes in this stunning secluded valley, home to the Peak District’s innovative Moors for the Future programme (Rail Station)
- Castleton - The heart of the Hope Valley, on the doorstep of the Great Ridge, Mam Tor and Winnats Pass, and gateway to the Peak District’s fascinating cave networks (Rail Station – Hope, one stop)
- Derwent Valley - Set in the imposing ‘Dark Peak’ on the banks of the Derwent reservoirs, explore miles of walking and cycling trails, or immerse yourself in history – including the famous ‘Dambusters’
See where the Hope Valley Explorer goes!
Click/touch the image to enlarge...
- Step deep inside the world of caves from Castleton, just moments from the Hope Valley Explorer route
- Stare in awe at the Derwent Dam and be transported back to the ‘lost villages’ and Dambusters heritage
- Take in the unrivalled views from the Great Ridge, or travel the snake-like winding Winnats Pass
- Climb ‘Jacobs Ladder’ near Edale, in the shadow of Kinder Scout – spiritual home of Britain’s National Parks
- Slow down your day with a wander through the streets and shops of Castleton, or the lanes of Edale
- Two buses (H1 and H2) operate seven days a week from Sunday 21 July to Saturday 31 August, perfect for summer days out.
- H1 route: Fairholmes in the Derwent Valley - Bamford - Hope - Castleton - Winnats Pass - Blue John Cavern.
- H2 route: as H1, but includes Edale (via Hope)
- You can view the timetable here
- From Chesterfield departs 09:05 via Cutthorpe
- From Chesterfield departs 09:20 via Dronfield
- Returning to Chesterfield arrives 18:17 via Dronfield
- Returning to Chesterfield arrives 18:37 via Cutthorpe
- Adult day ticket £6
- Family day ticket (up to 2 adults and two children) £12
- Single journey £4
- ENCTS half fare
Get more from your Hope Valley Explorer ticket!
Enjoy offers on presentation of your valid Hope Valley Explorer ticket at...
- Blueberry Café at Castleton Visitor Centre - 15% discount for sit-down orders (this does not apply to the outside kiosk)
- Derwent Bike Hire - £4 discount on each cycle hire
The Hope Valley Explorer is operated by Stagecoach on behalf of the Peak District National Park Authority. Times given are accurate at the time of publication and are based on expected traffic conditions. Times may be subject to change and will be made available via the Peak District National Park website. The Peak District National Park Authority cannot accept liability for delays to connecting rail or other services as a result of the Hope Valley Explorer. Got more questions? Please visit our FAQs page.