Marvel at the impressive approach to Peak Cavern by following the stream on historic alleyways. Local traffic on a short section.
Access for All
Distance: 350 m to the start of the ascent to Peak Cavern
Nearest Facilities: Castleton
- Head between the café and shop opposite the visitor centre to meet and follow the stream.
- Turn right at the T-junction to cross the stream by the bridge.
- Turn left immediately after the bridge and follow the stream and path round the front of the houses to Peak Cavern.
Castleton Peak Route Map (356KB)
Consider exploring underground with a mobility-friendly entrance tour at Peak Cavern. The path steepens up to the cave entrance.
Start at Castleton Visitor Centre. Via the A6187 along the Hope Valley.
Ordnance Survey grid reference: SK1491 8296
Postcode: S33 8WN
Parking: 6 dedicated disabled
Toilet: open 8am to 5pm; baby change
Refreshments: 9.30am to 5pm
Do you know?
- Peak Cavern is the largest cave entrance in Britain and was one of the original 16th century Seven Wonders of the Peak.
- Rope makers worked and lived in an underground village at the cave for over five centuries.
- The crag above the cave entrance formed a natural defence for Peveril Castle above.
Castleton Visitor Centre
Across the road