Explore the Derwent Valley and the home of the Dambusters using well-surfaced tracks and the option of tramper and cycle hire. Local traffic on the road sections of the route.
Access for All/Many
Distance: 600m to base of the dam tower, an additional 3km along the reservoir
Nearest Facilities: Upper Derwent Visitor Centre and Cycle Hire
Access for All
- Descend the tarmac paths by the Visitor Centre to meet the road
- Turn right down the road to cross the bridge and ascend to meet a turning area and path on the left hand side
- Pass through the gap at the side of the gate and continue to the base of the dam tower and interpretation panels.
Access for Many
- Continue up the road to the top of the hill
- Turn left at the road junction and continue at a less steep gradient to the gate at the top of the dam where the tarmac finishes and the path levels out
- Continue along the side of the reservoir for over 2km enjoying far reaching views, stopping where the path begins to descend.
Derwent Dam Route Map (165KB)
Start at car park at Fairholmes. Northwards from the A57 Glossop to Sheffield ‘Snake’ Road.
Ordnance Survey grid reference: SK 1724 8942
Postcode: S33 0AQ
Parking: 6 dedicated disabled
Toilet: open daylight hours; baby change
Refreshments: kiosk opening times 8am to 6pm
Base of the dam
Tree-lined reservoir path
Fairholmes visitor centre