How to reach us
Fairholmes car park
Sheffield S33 0AQ
Our Derwent bike hire centre is situated in the picturesque Derwent Valley. It is accessed from the A57 Sheffield to Glossop road. Cycle beside the historic Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs through beautiful woodland.
- From 19th (right through until 31st October): 9.30am to 5pm every day
If hiring all day bikes must be back 15min before the centre closes.
We will close for lunch 12.30pm to 1pm each day.
We do not take cash. Card/ contactless payments ONLY. There is no mobile phone signal OR Wifi in the valley. If you wish to move your funds between accounts please ensure you do this before entering the valley. Read the information below for more information.
No Booking Required, but you will need...
- Just turn up! We work on a first come first served basis, its very rare we run out of bikes as we have a large fleet bikes which are being returned throughout the day.
- A photo card driving licence with current address or a passport and proof of current address. Photo ID and proof of address are essential, without these documents you will not be able to hire.
- A debit or credit card for payment and a pre- authorisation/ deposit. Deposits will be withheld and/or reasonable charges will be incurred in the event of damage or late return. Please be aware we cant process deposits via contactless payment using phone (Apple/ Samsung pay) you will need to bring a physical card.
- Helmets - We are happy to supply sanitised helmets for your use when hiring- equally if you prefer you may use your own.
- Please call the centre to book accessible equipment due to the limited number available. Payment will be required to secure you booking in advance and a deposit will be taken on the day, please bring photo ID and proof of address. Please see terms and conditions for group/advance booking.
- Group hires (10 or more) can be booked in advance by calling the centre. Payment will be required to secure you booking and a deposit will be taken on the day, please bring photo ID and proof of address. Please see terms and conditions for group/advance booking. Discounted group rate will only apply to schools and cannot be applied at weekends, bank holidays or during the school holidays.
View our cycle hire price list page.
Where you can cycle
There is a wide range of both easy going and challenging routes for cyclists but remember that cycling is only permitted on bridleways – not on footpaths or open moorland. View the cycle routes in the Upper Derwent Valley (140KB).
The reservoirs of the Derwent and Howden were built nearly 100 years ago to supply the cities of Sheffield, Nottingham, Derby and Leicester. Ladybower was completed in 1945 to supply an ever increasing demand. With the combination of water, woodlands and high moorland, the Upper Derwent has become a unique place for wildlife.
About the bike hire, repair and service centre
The cycle hire centre at Fairholmes forms part of a visitor complex including Visitor Centre, refreshment kiosk and ranger services. Toilets (including disabled facilities), picnic tables and seating areas are all provided on site.
The car park is run by Severn Trent Water and there are pay and display machines.
The friendly and knowledgeable Bike Hire staff are on hand to offer help and advice and can repair small mechanical problems or fully service your bike. The Visitor Centre provides maps and guides on the area.
Read our Upper Derwent Bike Hire Centre - Access Guide (3MB)
Information on our cycles
The following cycles are available from this centre:
- Adult cycles
- Child cycles
- Tag a longs
- Childrens Trailers
- Tramper Mobility Scooter
- Dog Trailers
Our other bike hire centres