Fairholmes car park
Sheffield S33 0AQ
Tel: (01433) 651261
How to reach us
Our Derwent bike hire centre is situated in the picturesque Derwent Valley. It is accessed from the A57 Sheffield to Glossop road. Cycle beside the historic Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs through beautiful woodland.
Derwent Bike hire is operating a walk in system, first come first served. No need to book in advance, please just turn up on the day. You will need photo ID (passport or Photo driving licence), please read the information on our pages in advance.
- Customers must follow all Covid-19 guidelines when collecting and returning bikes.
- There is no provision for rescues or first aid when bikes are out on hire, therefore cyclists are advised to ride within their abilities and take responsibility for themselves, please do not put pressure on National Park staff or medical professionals.
- There maybe a queue at the centre when you arrive during busy times (9.30am - 11am), please be patient or if possible plan your visit around these times.
- We open 9.30am - 4.30pm.
If you would like to purchase and ex-hire bike, require a service or are in need of a repair, please make an appointment at the centre.
We are open everyday from September 2020.
- Group hires (10 or more) can be booked in advance by calling the centre. We will ask that you pay in advance to confirm your booking. Bikes are not be guaranteed to be available unless booked and paid for in advance. Please see terms and conditions for group booking. Discounted group rate will only apply to schools and cannot be applied at weekends, bank holidays or during the school holidays.
- Individuals or parties with less than 10 people can book online for using the 'book online' button above. 24 hours' notice required.
- All customers will be treated on a first come first served basis including bank holidays and weekends. We stock a large fleet of different types of bikes and although we cannot guarantee bikes will be available at very busy times, we rarely run out of bikes. We will do our best to accommodate your hire needs, as we have bikes returning to the centre throughout the day.
- Please call the centre to book accessible bikes, due to the limited number available.
View our cycle hire price list page.
Where you can cycle
There is a wide range of both easy going and challenging routes for cyclists but remember that cycling is only permitted on bridleways – not on footpaths or open moorland. View the cycle routes in the Upper Derwent Valley (140KB) .
The reservoirs of the Derwent and Howden were built nearly 100 years ago to supply the cities of Sheffield, Nottingham, Derby and Leicester. Ladybower was completed in 1945 to supply an ever increasing demand. With the combination of water, woodlands and high moorland, the Upper Derwent has become a unique place for wildlife.
About the bike hire centre
The cycle hire centre at Fairholmes forms part of a visitor complex including Visitor Centre, refreshment kiosk and ranger services. Toilets (including disabled facilities), picnic tables and seating areas are all provided on site.
The car park is run by Severn Trent Water and there are pay and display machines.
The friendly and knowledgeable Bike Hire staff are on hand to offer help and advice and can repair small mechanical problems or fully service your bike. The Visitor Centre provides maps and guides on the area.
Read our Upper Derwent Bike Hire Centre - Access Guide (3MB)
Information on our cycles
The following cycles are available from this centre:
- Adult cycles
- Child cycles
- Mobility Scooter
- Beamer Tramper Mobility Scooter
- Dog Trailers
Our other bike hire centres