Outdoor Learning CPD (Teacher Training)
We are keen to share our expertise in delivering high quality outdoor learning for children and young people. One way we do this is by providing training to enable teachers to develop their own skills and confidence in planning and delivering lessons for their pupils, using school grounds and other outdoor spaces available to them.
In 2022 we launched an exciting new programme of "Outdoor Learning at KS1/KS2" CPD sessions at our Macclesfield Forest centre. We are delighted to announce that we will be offering similar training workshops again, in 2023.
Each stand-alone session aims to:
- Increase participant’s own topic knowledge and understanding
- Share hints and tips on planning and running outdoor learning sessions (developing skills in outdoor leadership: from useful equipment to carry, to group management techniques)
- Provide opportunities to participate in hands-on practical activities which could easily be duplicated in your own setting or local green space
- Provide opportunities to network with other like-minded local teaching staff
We also offer customised CPD in your school setting. Please contact us for more information and to discuss your requirements.
Each session will focus on a particular topic, and how you can use your local outdoor green spaces for cross-curricular learning, about/through that topic:
Friday 21 April 2023 - Focus on Maps & Map Skills
Friday 5 May 2023 - Focus on Rivers (new date)
Friday 12 May 2023 - Focus on Habitats
Friday 23 June 2023 - Focus on Plants
We will also aim to cover, over the course of the programme:
- Identifying suitable green spaces for Outdoor Learning, in your school grounds and beyond
- Auditing your local green spaces for Outdoor Learning potential
- Auditing your school's current Outdoor Learning provision
- Risk Assessments, and Health and Safety considerations
- Sharing findings of recent research into the varied benefits of imbedding Outdoor Learning in to your school curriculum - for pupils, and also for staff. E.g. benefits include increased health and wellbeing (pupils and staff), increased confidence and resilience, increased enjoyment of lessons, improved attitudes towards learning, and increased overall academic success.
- Where to find additional resources, and sources of support
The 4 sessions are designed to complement each other, but each will be run as a stand-alone session, allowing teachers to choose the most relevant session(s) for their own needs.
However, most of the teachers who took part in the 2022 programme attended for all four sessions, and appreciated having time to practice their new skills and activities, in between the monthly training days. In addition, there will be aspects of the planning and delivering of Outdoor Learning (e.g. see above) which will only be covered in one session, to create progression over the programme. Therefore we would recommend that schools book a place on each day of the course (even if it is for different teachers on different dates) to benefit fully from the training.
Aimed at: Teaching Staff working with KS1 and KS2; but we also welcome School Leaders, Teaching staff from other year groups (e.g. EYFS) and any Outdoor Practitioner who wishes to expand and develop their own Outdoor Learning skillset.
Timing: All sessions will run from 10:00am – 3:00pm (welcome and refreshments from 9:30am)
Macclesfield Forest Classroom
Nearest postcode: SK11 0NS
What3Words reference: ///coach.emeralds.format
Directions to the Forest Classroom (852KB)
Cost: £50 per person, per session (Schools should be able to use Sports Premium funding for this)
To book your place, go to our booking portal at Ranger Events (cinolla.com)
If you require further information before making your booking, please email Learning.Discovery@peakdistrict.gov.uk
- Refreshments will be provided, but please bring your own lunch.
- Clothing: These sessions will include lots of practical activities, most of which will take place outdoors. Please wear/bring comfortable outdoor clothing, suitable for the weather on the day. For the ‘Rivers’ session, it is advisable to bring wellingtons if you have them.
- Numbers: To enable all participants to be fully involved in the training activities, participant numbers will be limited to 16 per session. If your preferred session is fully booked, please email us stating which session you wished to attend. If there is enough demand we will aim to provide additional dates.
- Your trainer for these sessions will be Frances, our Learning & Discovery Ranger based at Macclesfield Forest. Frances has been leading school visits with our team since 2002 and has a wealth of experience and expertise to share.
What did teachers feedback about the 2022 CPD sessions?
"It was excellent value for money - I have never been on training at this price and was a bonus that it could be spent by sports premium budget. Frances was brilliant - so knowledgeable, flexible and friendly - very approachable - clearly knew her stuff. I also like the fact that it was run over 4 sessions and I could come back and see the same people. Small group was a massive bonus - which meant it could be personalised."
"Really great training, really fun and very knowledgeable leaders. Thank you!"
"It has given me ideas for outdoor learning and has made me rethink how to deliver sessions in the future."
"Thank you - I loved it and look forward to coming back!"
"My general knowledge has definitely improved - I have learnt some really interesting facts as well as activity ideas. I have learnt about plant and tree species as well as mapping activities. There are a lot of activities I will take back and implement with my Y1s as well as run a staff meeting for teachers in other year groups."
"I thought it was very well delivered and all the Peak District tutors and helpers were very knowledgeable and kept us all engaged."