The section of the route through Coombsdale Wood is currently closed for essential tree work. This closure runs until 25th August 2021. Coombsdale Wood is near the start of the route. Sorry for the disappointment. Please check here for updates before visiting.
Discover a world apart in an area once roamed by highwaymen. Part of the Black Harry Trails
Access for All
Distance: 1.6 km one-way
Nearest Facilities: Stoney Middleton and Calver
- Head up the track next to the playing fields.
- Continue up the dale to where, after a short climb, it opens out with seating.
Coombs Dale Route Map (306KB)
Start at Stoney Middleton Playing Fields off the A623 near Calver Crossroads.
Ordnance Survey grid reference: SK2356 7506
Postcode: S32 4TB
Do you know?
- In the early 18th century, travellers crossing the lonely moors were attacked and robbed by a highwayman who took the name of Black Harry.
- The first blossom of the year can be seen in the blackthorn which lines the route.
- The limestone is rich in fossils deposited 330 million years ago in shallow, tropical seas when the Peak District was close to the Equator.