National Parks General
National Parks Vision and Circular
National Parks vision circular 2010 (1MB)
The Development Strategy
- Review of settlements within the Peak District National Park (134KB)
- Map of settlements in and near to the Peak District National Park (316KB)
- Settlement summaries informing development strategies (149KB)
Landscape and conservation
The Landscape Character Assessment establishes a baseline audit of the current character of the landscape and provides a framework to measure any future landscape change. The assessment will also help to promote appreciation and understanding of the landscape of the national park.
Recreation and tourism
Climate change and sustainable building
This document outlines the actions that need to be taken within the national park to help mitigate the causes of, and adapt to the effects of, climate change in the years to come.
Also see our Peak Sub-Region Climate Change Study (8.8MB) which focuses on the capacity and potential for renewable energy and low-carbon technology and incorporates a landscape sensitivity study of the area. Please note we have received comments from our primary data source for hydro which are likely to result in a revision to the hydro section of this document.
Strategic flood risk assessment 2008An assessment of the flood risk to the Peak District National Park both now and in the future, including detailed images and GIS data.
Homes and communities
Peak District National Park Housing Topic Paper (600KB)
Derbyshire Dales District Council
- Strategic Housing and Employment Land Availability Assessment August 2016 (734KB)
- Assessment of Housing and Economic Development Needs: Final Report September 2015: GL Hearn (107KB)
High Peak Borough Council
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment and Housing Needs Study Final Report April 2014: Nathaniel Lichfield and Partners (7.3MB)
- Report by Mike Moore BA (Hons) MRTPI CMILT MCIHT an Inspector appointed by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government Date: 24th March 2016 (466KB)
Community Infrastructure Levy
An assessment of the viability of applying the Community Infrastructure Levy within the Peak District National Park published in July 2013.
Peak District National Park Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Viability Study (1MB)
Strategic Housing Market Assessment 2008
An assessment of the dynamics and drivers of the housing market within the Peak District sub-region. Published December 2008.
- Contents (278KB)
- Section 1 - introduction (115KB)
- Section 2 - spatial extent of the sub-regional housing markets high quality (8.5MB) low quality (2.5MB)
- Section 3 - drivers of the housing market (110KB)
- Section 4 - demographic drivers of demand (1MB)
- Section 5 - economic drivers of demands (866KB)
- Section 6 - characteristics and structure of housing supply (660KB)
- Section 7 - housing needs and affordability (186KB)
- Section 8 - future housing provision (270KB)
- Section 9 - future scenarios (146KB)
- Section 10 - conclusions and policy implications (150KB)
- Housing needs survey 2007 (1.6MB)
- Key worker findings of housing needs survey (22KB)
- Housing needs study implications (35KB)
Strategic housing land availability assessment
The Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) was prepared by ekosgen and Arup for High Peak Borough Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council and the Peak District National Park Authority. It is important to note the role of the SHLAA is not to allocate land for residential development but to provide evidence, alongside other studies, to help inform the decision processes as part of the Local Development Framework and development control decisions. The SHLAA identifies potential housing sites and indicates the strategic capacity. However it leaves to the plan making process (now underway) the policy judgements as to which sites should be factored into the Core Strategy and other Development Plan Documents. It does not prejudge the planning application process for each site.
- SHLAA Final Report (888KB)
- Peak sub-region SHLAA Maps (77MB) - please note this is a large file and we recommend you download it by right clicking on the file and choosing Save Link As or Save File As (ctrl+click on Mac)
- Homes and Communities Agency single conversation: peak housing market area investment plan: april 2010 - 2014 (5.6MB)
Peak sub-region town centre and retail study 2009
A study of shopping provision within the Peak District sub-region, identifying potential requirements for new retail floorspace in the principal centres to 2026.
Peak sub-region open space, sport and recreation study 2009
An audit and needs assessment of open space and sports facilities within the Peak sub-region.
- Open space assessment report (3.1MB)
- Sports assessment report (2.7MB)
Derbyshire gypsy and traveller accommodation assessment 2015
- Position Statement (24KB)
- Derby, Derbyshire, Peak District National Park Authority and East Staffordshire Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment - Final Report (3.64MB)
Derbyshire gypsy and traveller accommodation assessment 2008
- Executive summary (1.2MB)
- Main report of study findings (1.9MB)
Population projections workshop 2007Notes from a workshop which explored the impact of recent population, housing and labour force projections on National Park policies.
- Population projections workshop 2007 (50KB)
- Peak District National Park population context (55KB)
- Annual Housing Report
- 2001 Census of Population results (4MB)
- Population, household and labour force projections 2001-2026
- Community Strategies in and around the Peak District National Park (106KB)
- Key worker findings of housing needs survey (22KB)
- Peak National Park Structure Plan (Deposit Edition) 1992 (Extract) (835KB)
- Factsheet 7 - Peak District National Park Authority - no of dwellings built and committed since 1977 (39KB)
Bakewell employment land review (1.9MB)
Contribution of the Peak District National Park to the Economy of the East Midlands SQW Consulting: Nov: 2008 (3.7MB)
Peak Sub-region employment land review 2008
The study reviews the current supply of employment land in the sub-region, and considers the future employment land and premises requirements to 2026.
- Employment Land Review 2008 (3.1MB)
- Employment Land Review Appendices 1-5 (470KB)
- Survey of Businesses in the Peak District and Rural Action Zone 2005 (900KB)
- Local aggregates assessment 2013 (1.6MB)
- Minerals background paper (1.6MB)
Accessibility of services by public transport in relation to Local Plan Settlements
A series of maps showing the accessibility of core services to residents of settlements within the Peak DIstrict when using public transport. A benchmark of 30 minutes has been used throughout.
- Community hall (93KB)
- GP surgery (97KB)
- Hospital with outpatients department (99KB)
- Pharmacy (98KB)
- Post office (103KB)
- Primary school (124KB)
- Public house (121KB)
- Secondary school (101KB)
- Supermarket (112KB)
Coinciding with the launch of the Issues and Options document, over 50 stakeholders met to discuss the future management of the National Park.
- Report of partner event 2005 (600KB)
Help Shape the Future survey results 2004
Questionnaires were distributed by email, at local summer agricultural shows, local libraries and Tourist Information Centres. 388 responses were received.
Public meetings 2004
Community workshops 2008
A series of community workshops took place in October 2008 to discuss the Local Development Framework and Landscape Strategy. Workshops took place in Kettleshulme, Hathersage, Hayfield, Warslow, Bakewell, Bradfield and Holme.
- Summary of comments from workshops (49KB)
- Core Strategy Issues and Options - Consultation Responses 2007 (35KB)
Sustainability Appraisal / Strategic Environmental Assessment (SA/SEA)
Sustainability Appraisal / Strategic Environmental Assessment (SA/SEA) Scoping Report
Scoping report with consultation responses - July 2008 (221KB)
Scoping report appendices (470KB)
Sustainability matrices for core strategy refined options
- Summary sheet (38KB)
- Climate change options (148KB)
- Economy options (145KB)
- Housing options (145KB)
- Landscape options (52KB)
- Minerals options (58KB)
- Settlement options (65KB)
- Transport options (226KB)
SA / SEA of core strategy preferred approaches
- Non-technical summary (103KB)
- Report (555KB)
- Appendices (938KB)
General national park evidence
- National Parks Vision and Circular 2010 (on Defra website 1MB)
- State of the Park Report and update 2004
- Review of English National Park Authorities - DEFRA 2002 (336KB)
Regional Spatial Strategy (RSS8) (revoked)
As of 2010, the regional plan is no longer part of the strategic planning documents for the national park. It is, however, still a part of the evidence base for the Local Development Framework Core Strategy.