A journey back in time to the Carboniferous period of geological history. Students will identify and classify rocks, through observations and testing rock properties. Offering students a real-life experience visiting an old or working quarry site, searching for how the rocks are used in the local landscape, enhancing their understanding of rock formation and uses. The cycle will be complete using fieldwork techniques to discover the development of soil over time.
Suitable for: Year 3-6
Duration: Minimum 4.5 hours
Location: Coach Directions and meeting place, please click on location below.
- Longdendale Environment Centre (near Glossop/Manchester)
- Macclesfield Forest (near Macclesfield)
- Moorland Discovery Centre (near Sheffield)
- Tideswell (190kb)
- Useful documents:
- Teachers Notes (404kb)
- Teachers' Notes Moorland Discovery Centre (400kb)
- Health and Safety
- Risk Benefit Assessment (113kb)
- Risk Benefit Assessment Moorland Discovery Centre (125kb)
To book at the Moorland Discovery Centre call 01433 637907 or email email@example.com.