Fairholmes Car Park
Sheffield S33 0AQ
Tel: (01433) 651261
How to reach us
Our Derwent cycle hire centre is situated in the picturesque Derwent Valley. It is accessed from the A57 Sheffield to Glossop road. Cycle beside the historic Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs through beautiful woodland.
We are open on the following dates: (mainly weekends but the odd weekday too- so please check carefully.) We are happy to open for groups of 15 or more please email your enquiry details using the address above.
1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th February 2020
We then open everyday from 10th February 2020 until 1st Nov 2020.
All dates are weather dependant give the centre a call (01433) 651261 or check back here for adverse weather information.
We open at 9.30am and closing times are between 4pm and 5pm based on daylight hours. Please confirm with a member of the team when hiring.
- Group hires (10 or more) can be booked in advance by calling the centre. We will ask that you pay in advance to confirm your booking. Bikes are not be guaranteed to be available unless booked and paid for in advance. Please see terms and conditions for group booking. Discounted group rate will only apply to schools and cannot be applied at weekends, bank holidays or during the school holidays.
- Individuals or parties with less than 10 people can book online for using the 'book online' button above. 24 hours' notice required.
- All customers will be treated on a first come first served basis including bank holidays and weekends. We stock a large fleet of different types of bikes and although we cannot guarantee bikes will be available at very busy times, we rarely run out of bikes. We will do our best to accommodate your hire needs, as we have bikes returning to the centre throughout the day.
- Please call the centre to book accessible bikes, due to the limited number available.
View our cycle hire price list page.
Where you can cycle
There is a wide range of both easy going and challenging routes for cyclists but remember that cycling is only permitted on bridleways – not on footpaths or open moorland. View the cycle routes in the Upper Derwent Valley (140KB) .
The reservoirs of the Derwent and Howden were built nearly 100 years ago to supply the cities of Sheffield, Nottingham, Derby and Leicester. Ladybower was completed in 1945 to supply an ever increasing demand. With the combination of water, woodlands and high moorland, the Upper Derwent has become a unique place for wildlife.
About the cycle hire centre
The cycle hire centre at Fairholmes forms part of a visitor complex including Visitor Centre, refreshment kiosk and ranger services. Toilets (including disabled facilities), picnic tables and seating areas are all provided on site.
The car park is run by Severn Trent Water and there are pay and display machines.
The friendly and knowledgeable Cycle Hire staff are on hand to offer help and advice and can repair small mechanical problems or fully service your bike. The Visitor Centre provides maps and guides on the area.
Read our Upper Derwent Cycle Hire Centre - Access Guide (3MB)
Information on our cycles
The following cycles are available from this centre:
- Adult cycles
- Child cycles
- Mobility Scooter
- Beamer Tramper Mobility Scooter
- Dog Trailers